Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Here I am....send me!


As I am writing this week’s article I am sitting at Camp Bays Mountain

Camp Bays Mountain

There is a summer camp here, and Telford UMC, the church where I serve as pastor, has sent 12 children here for the week, and I am the MIR. That stands for “Minister In Residence”. Although when the campers see me they draw it out real long so it sounds like, “MIIIIRRRRRRR”.
            It’s pretty cool to be a MIR. And this is my first time doing this. I am here to lead morning, afternoon, and evening devotions with all the campers, and to spend time with them throughout the day to build relationships.
            First, let me say that camp counselors are simply amazing people. Actually, let me draw that out real long and say that they are AAAMMMMAAAZZZIIIINNNNGGG!
            Seriously, I mean that.
            If you have the chance to send a child/grandchild/next-door-neighbor’s-child to Camp Bays Mountain, then by all means you should definitely do it! And if you have questions about it just call me.
            Our theme for this summer is “Here I am”, and the Scripture focus is Isaiah 6:8. Here is that verse:

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

            Isaiah had experienced the awe, wonder, and magnitude of a vision where he saw the throne of God, and the worship that was taking place. And among the holiness and magnificence of this moment he felt his own sinfulness and mortality.
            I know that feeling.
            I preach to people every Sunday morning, lead small group Bible studies every Wednesday night, and get many, many other opportunities throughout the week to share Jesus.
            Sometimes, my own issues are in the front of my mind. Sometimes I even have to share with people what God says about something, and my own actions are at odds with this, too.
            This is how Isaiah felt; sinful, inadequate, unworthy.
            And then he experience grace.
           
“Your guilt is taken away, and your sin atoned for”
(Isaiah 6:7b)

            I know how that feels too!
            Jesus has atoned for my sins, my guilt.
            And what possible response could we ever have in this type of situation?
            Well, in this moment Isaiah heard God ask a question. And the question was, “Whom shall I send?”
            And there was only one possible answer for Isiah. He had experienced this overwhelming love, grace, and forgiveness in his own life. His guilt was gone. He was a new creation standing before a holy God.
            So Isaiah’s natural response was, “Here I am. Send me!”
           
            That’s our theme for our camper this week. Not only Isaiah. But we are also looking at the stories of Mary, Samuel, and Ananais.
            That’s our story, too. At least that’s my story.
            I have experienced so much love and grace and forgiveness from Jesus, that the only possible reaction that I could possibly have to this is, “here I am. Send me!”
            If you know what I’m talking about, can you be so bold as to prat that prayer with me?
            Here I am. Send me.
            So now what?
            Now, my friend, you are in the hands of a loving God. You have put His will above your own. And you are about to find your true meaning, destiny, and purpose in life.
            You have prayed a bold and trusting prayer. Let me know what God says back to you…..

No comments:

Post a Comment