Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Band Together

               Last week my mentor and friend Richard Looney gave me a small box of books. I love books, and he knows that. One book has captured my thoughts this week. It is Mike Slaughter’s “The Passionate Church”. I recommend you read it (and then I recommend you read “The Great All-American Dad Misconceptions” by yours truly….wow, that was a shameless plug wasn’t it J).
If you read much about Methodist history you will encounter the terms “societies”, “classes”, and “bands”. These are terms for how groups of Christians were organized in worship, discipleship, and spiritual growth. These terms also are old. These practices were centuries ago. And not many people read much Methodist history unless they have to for a seminary course.
               You’re probably thinking, “where is he going with all this? I just wanted a quick funny little devotional read”. Hang with me a minute. This might not be too quick, or too funny, but I think there is still something there.
               If you’re not familiar with those terms I listed in the first sentence, the condensed definitions could be that a “society” was a group that comes together once a week to worship, pray, read Scripture, sing songs. This is sort of like our modern day Sunday morning worship service.
               The “class” was a smaller group that came together once a week to do a more in depth study of Scripture with prayer. This would be similar to what many churches have as a Sunday night or Wednesday night Bible Study.
               The “band” was a small group of 3-4 people that met together once a week or so for a different purpose. The band was either all men or all women. The band focused on spiritual accountability and discipleship growth of the small group of members.
I pastor a church, and sometimes the temptation is the bigger the better. We are really good at counting numbers. But I need more. I need to grow deeper rather than just bigger. I need to know that there are a few men to stand with me and ask hard questions like “how is it with your soul” or “what temptations are you facing right now” or even “what sins have you committed since we last met?”[i]
               Those are just questions we don’t ask outside of a committed very small group of people we really trust.
               I don’t know how all this “band” small group stuff would work today, but I’m willing to give it a try. So I have. I have stepped out and asked a couple of guys to begin one with me. Yep, right here in Telford, TN.
               And they aren’t other pastors. They are just men seeking to follow Jesus, just like me. I hope that I don’t ruin their high and lofty ideology of perfect pastors… because I’m not one.
               There were many men that I could have asked to start with. But it had to be a small group to begin. There were many men that I wanted to ask, so I just prayed, “God please show me a few men tonight you want to start this with me”. And He did.
               I believe that if we ask God to show us things that He does. I believe that if we ask God to speak to us He does. I also believe that our vision and hearing is not all that great sometimes.
               Pastor Andy Stanley said, “something happens in circles that doesn’t happen in rows”. Something deeper can happen in smaller groups that does not happen in the pews on Sunday morning. It can be a deeper dive from the Sunday morning themes and topic, or it can be a different direction. But something does happen in the circles.
               We become “doers” and not just “hearers” of the Word.
               I don’t know for sure where our Telford band is going to go. That’s the organic beauty of it. I hope that this time next year the four of us are all meeting in small bands with other men and that there are bands of Telford women meeting to turn the world upside down with the excitement of living of a life following Jesus.
               So pray for me please. Pray for the band I am meeting with. And pray that if God wants to “band” you together with some others that you are open and available for that.
               Let’s go deeper, because this is really what matters.



[i] Mike Slaughter, “The Passionate Church” (Abingdon Press, Nashville, 2016) 37

No comments:

Post a Comment